Monday, January 25, 2016

Lets talk: STD's

It's Monday so you know what that means.. post day! How was everybody's first week back!?! I know I really enjoyed mine, it seems like it went by so fast but we got a long ways to go so let's make it a good one. Let me know below in the comments how your thanksgiving went and/or tell me about your semester ending so far. Remember I have twitter and an email too! ;)

So for this post I decided I was going to make a segment/file, I guess, called Let's talk. I think I'm going to dedicate this to things that we can get to the nitty gritty with; a space where I can give you some tips on things and keep it real with you one hundred percent. Remember this little segment will be fact and a little bit of my opinion so if you don't want to be opened mind or at least try and listen like an adult I would suggest you keep your comments to yourself. If not that's fine too you just won't be acknowledged by me!



So if you go to the University of Iowa you should know that we're the 2nd in the country for STD's. Don't believe me? check! If you don't go to the Univeristy of Iowa good for you, but you still need to know what you could get if you go to any university and choose to have sex.

There are tons of STD's to name, but we'll just talk about the three commonly seen ones on college campuses, what to do if you think you have one of them, and ways to prevent yourself from getting them.


  1. HPV-Human Papillomavirus (HPV) the cause of genital warts as well as cervical cancer. The disease doesn't always show symptoms so you're more than likely will not figure out you have it until it's too late. HPV is incurable and transmitted by skin to skin contact through sexual activity. Transmission rate: High
  2. Chlamydia-Now this bad boy can be transmitted through pretty much everything sexual vaginal, anal, oral sex, shit! you might be able to get it through a cough(I'm obviously kidding). I make the joke because it seems like this bacterial STD is so common at my school but I kid I kid. To be serious though, symptoms are more commonly seen with this STD, but if not it can cause serious problems in the future to men and women reproductive systems. Thankfully, a quick visit to that free clinic for some antibiotics and you'll be as healthy as horse(probably not but you'll be clear) Transmission rate: High
  3. HSV2- More commonly known as Genital Herpes. Genital Herpes infects one in five students a year so just because it's number three on this list doesn't mean it's less important than the others. It spreads just as fast as Chlamydia but it's worse because it's not curable and you know what that means. LIFE. It never goes away.

If any of this came as a shock to you and you're having sex then maybe you should not be having sex because the world is real my young Jedi. STD's will make life, even more, real and faster than you realize.

If you feel that you have any of these tell someone, don't keep this to yourself. Tell your best friend or another close family member because you will kill explode emotionally trying to handle this on your own. If you feel like you can't tell them try and if you still can't there are anonymous websites like Planned Parenthood where you can talk and get answers to your questions at the same time. I had a friend who was going through something involving STD's and she didn't want to tell anyone causing he to go crazy and probably cause her problem to flare up even more due to stress.

Once you have told someone you become less afraid and you have that person now to go through this with. Since you have your friend now you can make your appointment with someone and have them with you to go to the appointment so it isn't so scary. Which brings me to next point get a screening immediately so you can see if you have anything and fast. Even if you feel like you are okay get checked anyway because regardless if you use protection or not, if you are sexually active you need to GET TESTED.

Once you're tested and you're clear of whatever you have or don't have, make sure that you go over what got you in the predicament in the first place and how to prevent yourself for next time. Whether it be abstinence or protection do it there is no reason for why you should be having sex with strangers and not be protected. Even if you have been with this person for a long time still continue to or, at least, try to use condoms. If you just can't seem to get the idea of condoms in your head, at least, make sure you're on birth control(this is obviously meant for ladies) but even with birth control, I HIGHLY suggest that you use protection. I am not a doctor yet but there is a thin barrier between you and STD's don't break it because of carelessness.

https://collegetimes.co/stds-in-college/

No comments:

Post a Comment